[TenTec] Triton Age/ Serial Numbers

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:52:22 -1000

Hi,

Have two 544 Tritons here,  one needs the PTO
rehabbed and the Offset control repaired(does not
come ON when pushed in).  Other seems in fine
shape,  but face finish is "polished" from finger rubs
a bit about the Offset control.

One has S/N 544-0246,  and manual which came
along with it has a yellow-orange page in the back
with the numerals "12-76",  upper right corner.

Other is S/N 544-753 (no 0 before the 7).  This unit
came along with a manual for the 540 analog version.
I would guess this was the "newer"  unit,  but actually
is the one needing the work

I have the PTO rebuild kit,  but the instructions to
accomplish intimidate me,  hi.  Will return to TT for
the work. Any idea what they might charge?  Have
been meaning to call them,  but they are closed by
10 AM my time,  and I keep forgetting to call that
early in the morning!  Guess I should leave a note
for myself,  hi.  Or,  should I jump in and attempt the
rebuild of the PTO?  Only 30 steps,  you know,  remove
top,  sides,  and front panel;  remove this,
"DON'T TOUCH"  something else......etc. .  Kit contains
several tiny parts -- little washers,  a few small ball
bearings,  a brass shaft, pack of grease,  and some
other bits.  Appears I would have as much success
with this as I would at disassembly of a pocket watch,
then cleaning  and restoring it!

Reluctant to take this task on!!

Which is newer,  and any way to know the dates when
new from the serial numbers?

Thanks and 73,  Jim,  KH7M