[TenTec] CW Paddles

John - G3JAG patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 09:39:34 +0100 (BST)

Hi Barry

If you visited the Bencher booth at Dayton this year you would have
seen their version of the N2DAN paddle .. I saw it and was not
impressed - tho it may have been a prototype. I have played with a real
N2DAN paddle over here and it was just great. The Bencher version was
also a tad (like several hundred bucks) too expensive for me.

Bencher claim to have acquired the rights to the N2DAN paddle, tho its
far from clear what that means. There is no patent and copyright is of
very limited relevance. Maybe all they got was the right to sell their
product under the N2DAN name/call.

Now also at Dayton, but on the flea market, there was W4FJJ, Mike
March. He was selling hand-made, individually numbered, all brass
paddles. I know because I went for broke and got one. I have not
regretted this and I enjoy using it every day instead of my regular
Bencher paddle, which is now used as an ornament.

Mike's QSL card has three Web addresses on it, as follows:
www.qsl.net/w4fjj   lmmarch@visuallink.com   and
marchm@frederick.k12.va.

Note that I have not tried these addresses and I do not know if they
are all current.

Finally, I tried the Schurr at Bob's (K3SRO) shack and I confirm that
its a beauty. But I live a lot closer to the G4ZPY paddle factory than
most folk, so I recently went over there and tried his personal VHS
paddle. He carries no stock; he no longer has time to go to hamfests.
G4ZPY keys really are made to order and he is sold out weeks ahead
of production. I liked that VHS so much that I wrote a check there and
then. Now I'm waiting impatiently ....

Who says that CW is dead ???

73 John