[TenTec] Copying CW in your head

JimN0OCT@aol.com JimN0OCT@aol.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:22:44 EDT

In a message dated 23-Sep-99 02:42:47 Central Daylight Time,
pklein@2alpha.net writes:

> So, all you CW mavens, any tips?

Sure!  The first thing to remember is that not every word is important.  It
took me a long time to figure this out, but it really helps.  If you don't
get a word, forget it--it'll come to you [really].  Don't fret about it,
because there is already another word on the way.

Practice.

Listen to the ARRL bulletins.  I try to listen to the ones at 10 pm CDT
[CST].  They run at 18 wpm, but still are good practice.

Only write down the basics--name, call, RST, QTH, and anything else of
interest [like what kind of TT rig the op is using].

Practice.

Play word games [like word jumble] in the newspaper.

Use headphones, get everyone else out of the room, and close your eyes.
Relax, don't think too hard.

Oh yeah--practice!

73, Jim
NĜOCT

Once you learn to copy in your head, then teach yourself to send with the
hand you don't write with--things go *much* faster!