[TenTec] Copying in your head etc.

Gary E. J. Bold g.bold@auckland.ac.nz
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:05:36 +1200

Hi all,

re the thread concerning "copying in your head":

About August 1997, Tom W4BQF posted a comment on this reflector about
increasing reading speed.  He advocated the use of a software or hardware
code
reader to improve, and had used this in his case to get over a "hump" at
about
40 wpm.  Tom, maybe you'd like to comment again?

I've been giving the same advice to readers of my NZART journal (Break-In)
column  (The Morseman) for some years, and it's helped quite a few.

I also found that when I COULD copy above 30 wpm, the code seemed to flow
more
easily into my head.

I've also been using a variety of keyboard software packages when sending
above
about 35 wpm.   I can't think fast enough above this speed on a paddle, and
make too many mistakes.  I also spell better, and the code is MUCH easier for
others to read.   I think that most keyboard ops use fewer abbreviations, I
know that I do.

If you have a PC with soundcard and run Win95/98, a couple of excellent morse
reading and sending packages are available, free, at

http://ua9osv.virtualave.net/english.htm

Has anybody else tried these?

73, Gary ZL1AN