[TenTec] Copying CW in your head

Alan Bryant n0sbm@moonworks.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:11:39 -0600

At 12:41 AM 9/23/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Recently, I've again felt the pull of CW.  I've done a bit of listening and
>some CW QSOs, and observed the following:

I'm not sure age has as much to do with some of the things you mentioned as
just being a bit rusty.

One of the other suggestions in response was just to get in there and do
it, and I couldn't agree more. When I was first licensed at age 14, I could
easily copy and digest CW at 25 to 30 WPM. (I wrote it down then, and still
do.)

After years of being away from CW, I found that no only did my speed
suffer, but so did my ability to concentrate on copying. While I've not had
as much time as I'd like to work on it, I find that with each QSO my mind
doesn't drift as quite as much, and my speed ability continues to increase
as well.

I think what we all forget to realize, or at least I do, is that back in
"the old days" when I was better at this, yes I was younger, but I was also
spending CONSIDERABLY more time on the task than I have the luxury of being
able to today. Skills left unused don't necessarily go away, but they
definitely lose their sharp edge.

Just get out your stone and spend some time sharpening!  :-)

Have fun, A.

---
Alan Bryant, WDØEVX (Formerly NØSBM)
Denver, Colorado