[TenTec] Copying CW in your head

Jess Young jyoung@tir.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:37:38 -0400

I suffer from the same problem myself, Peter.  I was an Army CW op back in the
early 60's...used to do CW nets at 35 wpm......problem is, they were all 5
letter code groups, and I copied on a Mill typewriter.  When I got involved
with ham radio, my typing skills had degenerated, so I went back to writing.

After I got the typing speed back up, I found I couldn't copy CW and type at
the same time any more....wasted several weeks trying.  I found taping QSO's
from computer programs at 35 -40 wpm helped a lot.  It really is easier to copy
code in your head when it is sent faster.

I can handle contest exchanges between 15 and 45 wpm, but am still struggling
with conversational QSOs....I can't send for long periods at high speeds (30
wpm +) without errors, and I have trouble copying in my head below 30 wpm.  I
keep listening to slower code QSO's now to try to improve, but Rome wasn't
built in a day.

Listening to QSOs between other hams lets you practice and keeps the pressure
off.  If anyone has any magic solutions, I am interested, too.

73, Jess, W8JY