[TenTec] Delta II, CW, and Computer Control

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:58:12 -0500

Is anyone using computer software to control their Delta II on
CW?

I am using TRLog with my Delta II and am having a problem which
Ten-Tec service says they cannot help with.

Here's the configuration:
PC running TRLog in DOS.
Using Com1 to communicate with and control the radio (band, freq,
mode) through a Model 305, RS232 Level Converter.
Using LPT1 for CW keying of the radio.

When transmitting CW, the radio sidetone sounds perfect, as does
the computer speaker output.  However, when listening to the
off-the-air signal, the keying is badly chopped up.  I'm
reasonably sure it's the software polling the radio for status
that is causing the badly chopped keying.  If I pull the plug on
the level converter or the RS232 plug at the back of the radio,
keying is nice and clean.

I have fooled with some of the settable settings in TRLOG, such
as:
    Radio one update - the frequency with which the radio is
polled by the software (default = 1 second, 1 second steps)
    PTT enable -- Turn on transmitter just before a CW message
starts and turn if off as soon as the message being sent ends.  I
figured it might help to vary it and see if it had anything to do
with the polling...if it was on, maybe it would stop the polling
during cw transmission.
    PTT turn on delay -- sets the amount of time that elapses
between the assertion of the ptt signal and the start of the
first CW character.
    No polling during PTT -- program will not poll the radio for
fre2 info during the time the ptt signal is active.  I had
really, really hoped this would be the command that would cure
the problem.  It did, but only partially.  I'm still getting the
first character cut off.

I know it's not the comport and it's not the software.  I swapped
my Omni VI+3 to Com1 and it played perfectly without any of the
above settings enabled.

Anyone have a clue and suggestions as to what to look for?

TIA

73,
Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org