[TenTec] OMNI VI mixer

John - G3JAG patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:53:43 +0100 (BST)

You have a good memory, Steve. There have been several articles in
RADCOM (RSGB - Radio Communications) highlighting the need for a square
wave LO input to a double balanced mixer. But the mixers used have been
a tad more exotic than anything in my OMNI-V. The latest is some kind
of Fairchild high speed bus driver chip that costs almost zilch, but
gives astonishing IMD performance when driven by a square wave LO.
Fitting that into my OMNI-V would be a real challenge !! I believe
G3SBI is one of the experts, altho there are also several US hams
involved in pushing this RX frontier to new limits.

I hope someone at TT is following these developments, which promise
seriously better receiver performance, without using exotic hardware.
I should mention that to make use of what can be achieved, the
following IF strip and AGC system need to be good, and perhaps those
ten pole INRAD filters would come in handy. But all the bits are readily
available, unlike the Crystalonics power FETS Bill mentioned.

No, I have made no measurements. My 17 dBm LO guesstimate was based on
the OMNI-V manual, plus published specs for mixers and on a few magazine
articles on the subject. And my OMNI-V still works very well, altho it
would be fun to compare it in a 40m European pile-up against a
heavyweight commercial RX. During the recent 3C0R operation, I had to
switch in 20 dB of attenuation and I still had overload problems on 40m.
How the guys on Annobon handled the wall of noise from 7050 to 7100 I do
not know.

If I had $10k plus to spare, I might be tempted to buy a receiver to
make the comparison. A local firm sells late model, ex-military Racal
receivers, at that kind of price  ...... but who fixes them when they go
wrong ?? At least if I open up my OMNI-V I can recognise the parts
inside it. And someone at Sevierville can tell me how to fix it. That
has to be good.

73 John G3JAG

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 28-Sep-99