[TenTec] OMNI-VI Plus features lost from OMNI-V?

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. geraldj@ames.net
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:48:31 -0500

Somehow with my Corsair II, I find I prefer rag chewing with the BPT set
for about 1.8 Khz pass band, rolling off the higher frequencies. I do
that to cut out noise and QRM. I don't know about rag chewing on a
private frequency and empty band using the linear to get across town.
There maybe the wider filter would be OK.

I suspect the TT filters ring less than the IRC filters when hit by
noise and fast CW, but I've not checked them out with a scope. I'm sure
the TT filters ring less than Kenwood and Collins filters on lightning
static. The 400 Hz IRC filter in my TS-130 starts to ring noticeably on
CW at about 40 wpm.

There is no transverter connection with the VI(+). I don't yet know of a
mod. I also don't like the mode switches the VI (and V) make going to
LSB for CW on 28 MHz. so wouldn't use it with a transverter for VHF
anyway where CW and USB contacts are mixed. The frequency shifts of rice
boxes are bad enough without inverting the pass band that the Omni V and
VI do. So I'll work out a transverter mod to my Corsair II.

73, Jerry, K0CQ