[TenTec] RF sends OMNI VI processor into tailspin

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:47:05 -0700 (PDT)

Just a note to interested OMNI VI owners about a symptom and simple cure.

I was having a QSO on 20 meters and as soon as I began to hit the key
(using the internal keyer), the speed jumped way up and I had to readjust
the speed control.  It struck me as strange, but I finished the QSO.

I went to look at the speed on the readout (OMNI VI with option 3) and the
speed digits just wiggled and were mostly unreadable.  That struck me as
strange.  Then the lights dimmed.  Then the whole right side of the
display turned off!  Geez, I thought I was having a meltdown.

Well, I turned off the rig and reset the processor.  Nothing changed, but
I did it again, hard reset, and things got better.  It all returned to
normal for me.

Just FYI, if you ever have these symptoms.  Don't panic: reset, reset,
reset.

Clark
WA3JPG