[TenTec] Corsair comments

Barry N1EU n1eu@hotmail.com
Mon, 07 Aug 2000 23:26:18 EDT

After playing with my recently acquired Corsair a bit, thought I'd share a
couple of comments and ask a question.

The Corsair receiver seems to have an uncanny ability at pulling the weak cw
sigs out of the noise on Top Band.  There is also an incredible amount of
rf/if gain available, so unamplified Beverage antennas are no problem at
all.

The ssb receive audio quality is exceptional.  I added an INRAD 2.8Khz
filter, tweaked the SB-N offset, and bypassed most of the af ouput stages.
I describe it on my Web page (see comments under "Corsair") at:
http://www.qsl.net/n1eu/TenTec/Tritonaudiomod.htm

My biggest concern right now is the AGC action, which I find pretty
frustrating.  I find myself operating mostly with the AGC off.  In "slow" on
ssb, the release time seems too fast and the sense is of the gain control
riding up and down way too much.  Fast agc on cw seems jerky and problematic
in QRN situations.  I would really appreciate any comments from others on
whether they find the AGC a problem on the CorsairI/II?  Has anyone
attempted to mod or replace the AGC circuit?

Finally a note to Will KC5QWE - I actually did find that in QRN that is a
constant "buzz", the noise blanker is effective.  Will and I had joked on
the net one Sunday about the knob labelled "NB Level" that didn't seem to do
anything at all (usually it doesn't)   ;-)

Tnx/73,
Barry  N1EU