[TenTec] Corsair comments

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 21:58:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Dale L Martin wrote:

> > The cure is to put on the attenuator and/or back off on the RF gain
> > until the signal reads about half acale on the S meter.
>
> You mean people don't back off on the RF gain as a matter of course?

Amazing.  I NEVER back off the RF gain.  I think I am a holdover from the
old days of my National NC-98 where to use the BFO meant I had to ride the
gain all the time and it was a chore.  I was so thrilled to meet decent
AGC when I built my HW-101 in about 1970.  Then I wondered what happened
to AGC technology when I got my Triton IV, but the rig still held my
attention for other reasons at that point in time.  (Well, it beat heck
out of all the other available rigs for CW operation for my tastes.)

Steve Ellington encouraged me to get the old OMNI-C running and I am
starting to learn how to use RF gain to my advantage, as well, to listen
between static crashes with this simple receiver.  Crude in ways, but the
darned thing is beginning to draw me to use it more and more.

I recall about two years ago running into someone on this reflector who
reworked their Corsair I or II AGC, I believe using the Bill Carver
designs that appeared in QEX or QST from 4 or 5 years ago.  Anyone
have the citation?  (Bill had reworked his OMNI VI and built a separate
AGC circuit that did a lot for the receiver.  I know he let go of that
rig, who the heck got it?  Anyone know?)

Clark
WA3JPG