[TenTec] Jupiter 1.04 FLASH update announced

K6atz@aol.com K6atz@aol.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:57:12 EST

Thanks Ken!  I needed to know about that update - I received my Jupiter
Friday, #760 off the line.  It works great overall, but with the Pegasus
software I couldn't get it to transmit consistently all weekend.  I installed
the update, and presto - no more problems, with the Ten-Tec or the N4PY
software.  (BTW, I'm sending in my $25 to Carl.  He's earned it.  And, then
I'll feel like I can make feature requests to match one or two new things on
the Jupiter.)

Dan, the download includes an update to the Pegasus too.  I don't know what
it includes, the History.txt only covers Jupiter changes.  I can make
something up however:  I suspect it's needed so that the firmware in both
radios will work with the same software.  (MAS - "Male Answer Syndrome" - at
work here...)  I'm not going to try the Pegasus update though.  My Peg is
already packed up and read to head back to Seiverville as part of a trade-in
arrangement on the Jupiter.  That one was #309.  It was from such an early
production run, I later soldered a ground wire into the circuit on my own, at
the recommendation of Ten-Tec tech support.  But it's been a great radio.

Ten-Tec Inc. techs, if you're listening, there's a couple more changes
needed, either in the radio or in the manual:
(1) The transmit bandwith filter still defaults to a rich and robust 3 khz.
But the prelim operating instructions state that the default will be 2.55
khz, below the max of 2.8 khz for standard SSB.
(2) The instructions also say that the package includes a line-out cable for
the sound card, which true only for the Pegasus.  The Jupiter package only
includes the DIN-to-phono plugs data cable.
But *thank you* for replacing line-out with a normal external speaker jack!

73s,
Joe, K6ATZ
Silicon Valley