[TenTec] Hercules 444 mod

David McClafferty at060@chebucto.ns.ca
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:05:40 -0400 (AST)

I used to own a Hercules 444. I had a lot of problems with the bandswith
mechanism. It would stick and the stepper motor (rotary solenoid,
Ledex,whatever)would draw excessive current current. This is a common
problem as I used to do repair work for the local dealer, back when T*T
had dealers, and I repaired several. I modified mine by increasing the
voltage to the motor. Modifying the power didn't seem feasible so I added
a 5 volt power in series with the 20 volts going to the motor to bring it
up to about 25V. The supply I used was a Radio Shack kit and I don't think
they carry it now. I don't remember what the current rating was. I sold
the Amp along with my Omni C a few years back and the new owner tells me
it works great.

					73, Dave, VE1ADH