[TenTec] Substitute backlight

WILLIAM F MANSEY WA2PVK@prodigy.net
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:00:49 -0500

Hello all,
    I agree completely with Stuart K5KVH about the plastic panels.  I recall
having seen one of the displays he mentioned.  It is something similar in
concept to the "nixie" tubes with the different numbers being energized as
needed.  Any good piece of clear Plexiglass or Acrylic would work since the
"light" would only appear where the surface is roughed up.  Artists use this
technique to edge light glass that they have etched.  It can be quite
beautiful but that is not the point here.  The point being made is that this
is an excellent, cheap, and easily made substitute for the
electroluminescent panels.  Grain of wheat bulbs can be used or some of the
newer, high output, Light Emitting Diodes should work well. (and provide a
nice choice of colors too!)
This certainly is a perfect example of another facet of our great
hobby - - - the art of "jury rigging" when the "right" part is not readily,
or affordably, available.   73's all!  Please excuse me while I go and
patiently (right!!!) await my new Jupiter!   BILL.