[TenTec] electron flow vs. current flow

cherry@neta.com cherry@neta.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:36:28 -0700

Sherrill, lighting is the flow of energy. You can tell that
by what it can do. The energy travels much faster than the
flow of particles. It is limited to the speed of light. The
energy in lighting ionizes the air into both positive and
negative. No negative or positive ion actually travels from
the cloud to earth or from earth to cloud. The energy travels
just like energy travels around wires from the power plant
to your tranceiver. The only difference is lighting has to make
the wire as it goes. That slows it down a little. Now doesn't
that simplify the whole thing?
Peace, Jim FitzSimons W7ANF

10/18/2000 4:03:25 PM, "Sherrill WATKINS"
<SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us> wrote:

>In reality lightning is a complete loop like any circuit.  Don't
know if this has been mentioned here before or not but there is
even positive and negative lightning,, so named because of where it
initiates, positive earth to negative clouds or the other way
around. In other words whether or not it starts from the clounds
goes to earth and comes back, or starts from earth goes to clouds
and comes back.

>Neat stuff anyway :)
>
>Sherrill WATKINS wrote:
>
>> Actually, I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who postulated in
about circa 1750 that electricity flows because of an attraction
from positive to negative poles.  Also, it was Franklin that
postulated the theory (correct) that lightning is the flow of
electric charges and therefore offered the first scientific
explanation that lightning is the flow of electricity.   Franklin
also postulated correctly that lightning will favor an attraction
to a point over a sphere or flat surface and from this he correctly
developed the theory of the lightning rod, now called the "air
terminal".   However, my cathodic protection engineer friend is
adamant that current flows from positive to negative. - sherrill
k4own