[TenTec] That's a great CW rig.....

jreber@es.com jreber@es.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:05:00 -0600

Hello gang-
I'm just curious why I've so often heard the comment "Oh, yeah, Ten Tec rigs
are great for CW" when I tell the op on the other end that I'm using a Ten
Tec rig. This happens whether I'm working CW, SSB, or PSK 31, and I've
honestly heard this comment (or something very similar) 30 or 40 times in
the last 2 years. Now I realize that CW afficienados frequently like Ten Tec
rigs (myself included), and they are unquestionably great for CW, but they
also seem to work perfectly well for SSB as far as I can tell. Many times
(on SSB) the comment is made so as to suggest that Ten Tec's are great CW
rigs, but not so good for SSB. What's the reason for this opinion?  The only
other rigs I have used besides my Omni D and Scout for SSB are an old
FPM-300, and a Tempo One. I'm curious how the SSB "experts" on the list feel
about Ten Tec's vs. the foreign rigs?

I'm hoping the Jupiter will perform well on SSB and CW, as I am considering
that for my next rig. It should have identical performance characteristics
to the Pegasus. I have worked several stations using the Pegasus on SSB, and
all were happy. However, I've only worked one station running a Pegasus on
CW. The operator said he liked it just fine for CW.

Thanks,
Jason
AC7JW