[TenTec] Hey, Binaural This

Barry N1EU n1eu@hotmail.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:19:06 -0500

Holy Timewarp Batman!

http://lists.contesting.com/_tentec/200011/msg00180.html

The Timewave marketing hype says:  "Binaural cw enables the cw operator to
use the powerful combination of his brain and both his ears to separate cw
signals in a panorama with lower pitch signals to the left and higher pitch
signals to the giht.  The exclusive feature makes cw listening easier and
takes the pile out of pileups!"

My first response to this was that it sounded like a pile of something else.
  Actually, there is some data to support this binaural technique.  For
example, see http://www.nitehawk.com/rasmit/br_cpy.html and scroll down to
"Binaural phenomena".

Anyone out there actually try the DSP599ZX with the latest firmware that
supports binaural cw decoding?  Does it improve reading weak cw signals in
noisy conditions?  We can shoot the bull all day, but does it or doesn't it
work?

73,

Barry  N1EU
http://www.n1eu.com

A little research actually turned up>From: "Steve Ellington"
<n4lq@iglou.com>