[TenTec] Reliable Voice/CW Keyer for Omni VI+

Dave Heil k8mn@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 20:54:07 +0000

Frank W8HO wrote:

> I love my pair of Omni Rigs but they do have a "quirk" that makes
> contesting life a bit more difficult than it needs to be.  As anyone who
> uses an Omni knows--the quirk is their 4 pin Mic with electret voltage
> supplied from the rig.  This causes great difficulty for those of us using
> the Heil headsets (or any other Heil Microphone).  The Heil cartridges
> simply won't drive the Omni unless one uses an amplifier like the W2IHY
> amp/equalizer.

Sure they will.  I've used nothing but Heil cartridges with my Paragon
and Omni VI.  Output of the Heil cartridges is a bit lower but it is
quite easy to give the mike gain a twist to compensate for that.

I also use an old Nel-Tech voice keyer with both rigs without any
difficulty.

Dave Heil K8MN