[TenTec] 1208 Transverter / 6m Operation

Mark Erbaugh mark@microenh.com
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 18:06:02 -0500

I just picked up a used 1208 transverter. The unit was factory assembled.
However, it is not performing as I expected. It could be that my
expectations are too high, so I just want to check.

I have hooked it up to my Pegasus. The 1208 seems somewhat deaf compared to
my Icom R7000 receiver when using the same antenna. I heard some phone
operation on  the R7000, but didn't hear them on the 1208. Also, the 1208
has picked up several commercial broadcasts (in foreign languages - one
sounded like it was coming from Quebec in French), but these were not heard
on the R7000.  I suspect that I am picking up an image of something, but
what? and what frequency? The antenna I am using is my Carolina Windom 160,
which is resonant on 6m.

Does it sound like an alignment is in order? Or am I just expecting too
much?

73,
Mark