[TenTec] TT Titan and other TT QSK amp issues

agtaylor@llnl.gov agtaylor@llnl.gov
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:52:38 -0800 (PST)

I have had a TT Titan amp for about 4 years now and find it to be a
solid reliable amp with great QSK. Of late I have been doing more
contesting than previously and find that I fear for the vacuum relay
when used at 35+/- wpm in an extended contesting situation. I have
devised a simple scheme that would allow the PTT output from my
logging program (TRLog / 486 PC) to key the amp on rather than follow
the actual transmitted signal, etc. In that way, an outgoing CQ
(and there tend to be plenty of them) , through which one is not
really likely to listen anyway, is not going to add to the wear/tear on
the vacuum relay. It is not in final form: basically I have worked
out suitable logic for my particular needs and operating environment.
The vacuum relays aren't noiseless either, so quieting the shack
while operating is also an issue.

The question for this reflector is this. Has this sort of thing been
done before? If so I could, perhaps, benefit from their work.

K7GT  Allan