[TenTec] Herc II relay dropping out

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:51:53 -0800 (PST)

My landlord just decided to sell our home, so my time is a little thin,
but ...

I called Ten Tec about my Herc II.  They told me that the relay clicking
during SSB transmissions was known to be RF related, some small wire
running right next to a relay and momentarily deenergizing it.  Solution:
move the wire.  I can't try it yet, but will soon.

The amp sitting idle for several years (near the ocean) also prompted the
tech to tell me to get a little DeOxit sprayed on the main relays to make
them happy.

My batteries seem fine right now, at least at the terminals the voltage
drop is only from 12.5 to about 12.0 during full 60 amp draw (down my 4
number 10 guage wires leading back to the Herc, 4 wires on the other side,
too - sound good to you all?)  I plan to measure the voltage at the Herc
II itself (connector does not warm up so it looks OK so far) just to see
how the cable is doing.

Wish me luck with my housing.  I HAD a landlord who didn't mind antennas.
It was nice!

Clark
WA3JPG