[TenTec] CW--slightly off topic

Simmons, Reid W reid.w.simmons@intel.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:10:57 -0700

Hmmm.  I seem to recall that learning a foreign language is also much easier
when you are a youngster.  I guess young minds are less cluttered with other
stuff.  I have been "CWing" since I was around 12 or 13 and can send and
receive fairly fast, but I could never seem to pick up on foreign languages
and I tried Spanish, Russian, German, and French (German seemed the
easiest).  Of course in all these years I am still "trying to learn
English".  :-)

Reid, K7YX

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Hyder -N4NT- [mailto:N4NT@chartertn.net]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 7:20 AM
To: ben; k1oj; mike bryce; tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CW--slightly off topic

Folks such as I who started this CW business as young teenagers seem to have
the edge on copying code in the head.  For me and those I know, we just hear
the thoughts -- not the letters and not usually even the words.  I'm sure
that folks who start learning CW in their 30's or later can master the art,
too, but it doesn't seem to be as easy for them.

Someone suggested sending high speed CW as a method of increasing receive
speed.  I believe that is a great suggestion!  The reason for this is that
the code is mastered by mastering the rhythm.  I say and have said before
that one cannot get the rhythm from iambic keyer or keyboard sending.  An
old keyer with none of the memory stuff or a bug will impart the best sense
of rhythm.

Others differ on this but those are my beliefs about the matter and my
experience with it.

Good luck from Mike N4NT@chartertn.net