[TenTec] Omni VI+ vs Icom 756-Pro

John, KE5C ke5c@vvm.com
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:58:20 -0500

> Wondering if any of the readers may have opinions on the Omni + vs the
> 756 overall pro's and con's I would like to hear what you have to say

I really tried to turn the other cheek and walk away from this one.  On
eHam.net, the 756PRO was reviewed 54 times with an average rating of 4.5/5.
The OMNI VI+ was reviewed 23 times with an average rating 4.6/5, so they're
both good radios although undoubtedly for different audiences.  Having heard
from some pro-756PRO fans, here's the flip side.  Since authoring the
following review, I have had another three sessions of two hours or more on my
freind's 756PRO and nothing has changed my mind (I keep trying to figure out
why others think it's so great):

"The last two [eHam net] reviews intrigued me. Both are CW related, and
neither reviewer yet owned the rig. One gave it a 5 while trying to explain
away the awful CW clicks, the other was to the point and gave it a 1. Well, I
fit perfectly into this club - I used a 756PRO for two hours during CQ WPX CW,
but I don't own one. My friend who does is a phone operator and likes pretty
displays. He loves the rig, well, except for the fact it needs an external
relay to key his amplifier. And the fact that he can't get the computer
interface to work. On the other hand, I am much more interested in how the
radio sounds, and on CW, it sounds, well, unusual at best in comparison to the
TenTec Omni 6 and the Yaesu FT1000D. The ICOM website says it all - a while
after the rig was on the market, an "Advanced Operating Guide" appeared on the
web to answer 10 questions, including "Why can I sometimes hear clicks from
nearby CW transmitters?" I don't care *why* I am hearing key clicks, I just
*do not want* to hear them, so fix it, don't explain it. Something else really
strange happened - I thought the band was quiet until I went home and turned
on the Omni. Strong signals in that 15 khz DSP passband must be smoothering
the weaker ones. I have to agree with the recommendation, if you're a CW
operator, get an Omni or a 1000D/MP instead. "

73, de ke5c, op john

-----
Note:  To reduce junk e-mail I have blocked all mail from hotmail.com,
msn.com, and yahoo.com.  I will not receive your mail if you are sending from
one of these services.