[TenTec] OMNI VI Receive Audio Mod.

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:49:46 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Richard B Drake wrote:

> You know, I don't expect my communications receiver to sound like
> my stereo with its 5 channel surround sound and expensive Bose

Neither does anyone else!  2.8 KHz is not anywhere near hi fi.  And
besides, the mod doesn't even stop the 3 db rolloff up at the high end
anyway.

> I do expect it to do is dig intelligible signals out of heavy
> noise and interference. I expect to be able to hear QRP signals
> from thousands of miles away well enough communicate. The Omni 6+
> with the standard 2.4 KHZ, 1.8 KHZ, and DSP filters does that very

That's not true for me.  The "tinny" sound of the stock setup annoys my
ears so that any Kenwood receiver becomes easier to listen to and dig out
the signals from the noise.  For me, my brain does the best DSP, it takes
concentration, and it takes a little wider span across the relevant
channel to do that.  I can hear better with a flatter, wider response.  I
have been challenged at Field Day to hear "better" with my 2.8 filters
than the guys using the 2.1's and 1.8's and have won each time.  It works
for me.

> very well. On CW the cascaded 250HZ filters will dig an S1 signal
> out of a thunder storm. My stereo won't do that!! What it boils
> down to is using the right tool for the job at hand. And, by the

True!  I find the Ten Tec 221 filter to be most amazing in that it really
digs into the noise for me when the chips are down.

> way guys, please don't offer to sell me anything that has been
> butchered with non factory mods. If it's not a stock radio, I
> wouldn't give a plugged nickel for it.

Good for you.  I am happy now that my OMNI VI will compete with my Kenwood
TS-850 for SSB intelligibility to my ears.  The right tool for the right
job for me.

There, I feel better now.

Clark
WA3JPG