[TenTec] Power Query

Robert Steele samstee@tds.net
Wed, 23 May 2001 19:20:43 -0500

When operating digital modes such as PSK311 they say you should set the
power output to about half max in order to avoid distortion so as to be sure
that you are not radiating too broad a signal.

I notice that when I set the power knob on the Jupiter to about 40%, then
adjust the microphone gain so thaat ALC light just not come on when the TX
light is on and PSK31 is idling, the forward power meter indicates about 17
watts, with the SWR meter at 1.1.

Question:   would I still be in the linear output range of the transceiver
if I increased the power knob to 80 % and readjusted the mic gain so that
the ALC light still is just below limiting? If I used fan cooling on the
heat sinks would this be satisfactory for the transmitter?

Thanks
bob