[TenTec] Other "Interference"

Richard Donovan n5xm@alltel.net
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 06:48:51 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01C16CD8.6B6680A0

      A recent post on the so-called "freebanders" on 30m mentioned the =
idea of "other"kinds of interference in the CW portion of other bands.  =
It would seem that most of us are primarily CW ops ( an assumption on my =
part ), so I wanted to get your opinion on some "other" interferene I've =
been running into on an increasing basis in the CW portion of the 20 and =
40 m band. =20
      Late at night I go into the DX portion of 20m, but you will =
usually find me between 14.035 and 14.050, and between 7.025 and 7.040 =
on 40m, definitely out of the digital portion of either band. I'll have =
a nice QSO going, and out of the blue appears the burbling sound of =
digital HF.  It is unmistakable.=20
      The "Gentleman's Agreement" notwithstanding, it is a reality that =
the bands are crowded, and at times we operate wherever we can find a =
reasonably open frequeny. On 40m the frequency doesn't have to be open =
at all for someone to start sending CQ out of the blue.  Have any of you =
noticed the increased activity of digital signals below the digital =
sub-bands? What bothers me more than their presence is the fact that =
they are so resistant to QRM, so much so that they often just start =
transmitting, seemingly without any awareness of any other signal on the =
frequency or even nearby. I was working a station with an honest 599 =
recently who was totally buried by a digital station, and we were =
certainly out of the digital portion of the band.  I don't care that =
they are there, I just wish they had a way to ask "is the frequency in =
use" and would do so before they start their digital burbling. Anyone =
else notice this?

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01C16CD8.6B6680A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#b1b1b1>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A recent post on the so-called=20
"freebanders" on 30m mentioned the idea of "other"kinds of interference =
in the=20
CW portion of other bands.&nbsp; It would seem that most of us are =
primarily CW=20
ops ( an assumption on my part ), so I wanted to get your opinion on =
some=20
"other" interferene I've been running into on an increasing basis in the =
CW=20
portion of the 20 and 40 m band.&nbsp; </FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Late at night I go into the DX =
portion of=20
20m, but you will usually find me between 14.035 and 14.050, and between =
7.025=20
and 7.040 on 40m, definitely out of the digital portion of either band. =
I'll=20
have a nice QSO going, and out of the blue appears the burbling sound of =
digital=20
HF.&nbsp; It is unmistakable. </FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The "Gentleman's Agreement"=20
notwithstanding, it is a reality that the bands are crowded, and at =
times we=20
operate wherever we can find a reasonably open frequeny. On 40m the =
frequency=20
doesn't have to be open at all for someone to start sending CQ out of =
the=20
blue.&nbsp; Have any of you noticed the increased activity of=20
digital&nbsp;signals&nbsp;below&nbsp;the digital sub-bands? What bothers =
me more=20
than their presence is the fact that they are so resistant to QRM, so =
much so=20
that they often just start transmitting, seemingly without any awareness =
of any=20
other signal on the frequency or even nearby. I was working a station =
with an=20
honest 599 recently who was totally buried by a digital station, and we =
were=20
certainly out of the digital portion of the band.&nbsp; I don't care =
that they=20
are there, I just wish they had a way to ask "is the frequency in use" =
and would=20
do so before they start their digital burbling. Anyone else notice=20
this?</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01C16CD8.6B6680A0--