[TenTec] Anyone using their Omni VI or VI+ with MixW v2.0?

John Clifford johnclif@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:59:44 -0700

I determined that the problem lies in the software... it is a bug/limitation
in MixW 2.0.

Evidently, the Omni VI's CAT command set is a superset of the Icom IC-735.
Ten-Tec extensions include the commands used to turn transmit on/off.  MixW
sends the wrong command to trigger transmit via CAT.  If you select using
DTR/RTS to control PTT, then MixW works but you lose some features like the
ability to display the exact frequency in the waterfall spectrum.  I guess I
could make up a special serial cable that would pass DTR/RTS to my
RigBlaster NOMIC while sending everything else to the Omni's serial port...
but the software should work as expected.

I've emailed the program's developer with the problem and solution, as well
as some suggestions on how to recode the rig control feature to increase
flexibility.

I like MixW's extended mode capabilities and their signal strength meter
(gives you an easy way to report RST), but Zakanaka works more seamlessly
with my two rigs... the Omni VI and the K2, the Omni being my primary HF
digital mode rig.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2
                  ...waiting for KPA2 & KAF2!
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net