[TenTec] Omni-D Dial sticking?

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:37:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, David S. Jackson wrote:

> Looking for help/suggesions:

> Except that the frequency tuning knob does not want to turn. I was able
> to get it turning but I had to remove the knob and skirt and use pliers -
..
> What's the best way to lubricate this and can I do it without taking it
> all apart?

Hi David - I have had success using a couple of products.  I use "white
lightening" lubricant/cleaner from a bicycle shop from the "top" (front)
of the shaft, right there at the bearings.  A little in the very rear is
in order, too.  Take off the cover of the PTO (doesn't require
disassembly, just a simple screw) and get some inside the bearning races
from the inside.  Turn the PTO back and forth full range to work it in.
Then take a Q tip, well twisted between the fingers (don't want to let out
any cotton strands in the lube) and take out the gunk.  Do this till you
get most of the stuff out of there.  Repeat if necessary.  Then I put in
some white lithium grease (again from a bicycle shop), just a bit on the
front and back, a little more right on the bearings.  This should get you
rolling for now.  Sometimes you really need a rebuild, but frequently,
this procedure has worked for me.

Clark
WA3JPG