[TenTec] Omni-D Dial sticking?

Mike Hyder -N4NT- N4NT@chartertn.net
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:28:07 -0400

Hi, David--

Having rebuilt about 5 of those PTO's, I do not see how you can repair
it without rebuilding it.  Once you have the thing out and disassembled,
you will understand why it was necessary to take it apart.

Ten-Tec will supply a kit of rebuild parts for about $25.  The kit
includes instructions for disassembly.  They will also supply you with
instructions for removing the PTO assembly from the rig (which can be
trickier than you think).  Even though the problem may be only gummy
grease, as much of a bother as it is to remove and disassemble the PTO,
I always have a kit of parts on hand in case I find worn parts
(particularly the bearing race).  Now that you have forced the shaft
with your pliers, you may want to replace that shaft, too.

You will be happy that you didn't try half measures but did it right
from the outset.

73, Mike -N4NT-

----- Original Message -----
From: "David S. Jackson" <kc6ssf@appleisp.net>
To: "TenTec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 00:36
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-D Dial sticking?

Looking for help/suggesions:

I have an Omni-D (FT-546) which has been waiting for me out in storage
for a few years. It is now reinstalled in the shack and seems to be
operating well.

Except that the frequency tuning knob does not want to turn. I was able
to get it turning but I had to remove the knob and skirt and use
pliers -
ouch!

What's the best way to lubricate this and can I do it without taking it
all apart?
(it was one a.m. and I almost sprayed in the old WD-40!!!)

Thanks: David Jackson, KC6SSF