[TenTec] Microphones for Ten Tec (Jupiter) Transceivers

WmLB@prefer.net WmLB@prefer.net
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:36:22 -0700

As couple of weeks ago, I made a post to the list
suggesting that I had pretty much reached the
conclusion that my Heil HM-10 with the HC -5
element was not going to adequately drive my new
Jupiter.. even with the internal mic gain pot at
it's maximum.

Even the TT 701 hand mic, which I am in the process
of exchanging for a 705 desk mic seems to out
perform the Heil.

So .. my question is.. are there other microphones
out there (104D, Shure 444, etc.) that you feel are
comparable to the TenTec microphones.. and operate
well with the TT rigs.. Frankly, I would have
preferred a boom mic of some sort. If the 701 was
capable of working on VOX and with my Rigblaster, I
would have given consideration to permanently
mounting it to the end of my swing type boom.
Somebody told me that the 701 could be modified so
that the "mic" circuitry would not require pressing
the PTT button on the hand mic, as is now the case.
Anyone know about that?

Bill, W6WLB

PS. I am very happy with my Jupiter thus far.. no
regrets about my sale of my ol' FT-990AC...it was
also a fine rig.