[TenTec] FCC Response, re Extra License

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw@fyi.net
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:16:10 -0400

Thanks Jim!  Bill Cross gave me permission to use this, so it's going to be
a short article in the next issue of my newsletter!  I needed another small
article... this was perfect.

See you at Dayton?

73, ron wn3vaw

"There must be some mistake.  The Pirates in first? QRM on my end,
probably."
--John W3ULS (and there's no QRM, either)

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Reid <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 7:21 PM
Subject: [TenTec] FCC Response, re Extra License

Today,  the following arrived from William Cross at the
FCC:

"Jim:

While I understand that your comments are rhetorical, I can
answer the question you pose:

Yes, what does the Extra Class license mean anymore??

It means what it always meant, no more and no less:  it means
you showed up at an exam point and passed the necessary
exam elements to show the VEs (prior to 1984 it was the FCC
Engineer-in-charge) that you were qualified for an Amateur
Extra Class license.  The Amateur Extra Class operator license
is an amateur radio license-not a professional engineering
license-and there never has been a need, requirement, or a
reason for a person to take "an entire semester in engineering
school to learn how to solve all those impedance, complex
plane,  R+/- jX problems" to be an amateur radio operator.
Personally, I'd prefer they take an entire semester before
they get on the air and read their transmitter's operating manual.

Keep in mind, too, that the exam system and license structure
we have today is the system the hams asked for-not one
imposed by the government.

William Cross"

Happy they  took notice about my post of some days ago about
becoming an Extra in one day.  Seems the folks who took that
class and test,  had done much studying before that day, at
least those who passed had;  have heard from one who signed
up for the class,  but couldn't make it,  but will in June,  he hopes.

Subject closed.

73,  Jim  KH7M