[TenTec] Titan III Color

Arthur Bernstein n2ka@optonline.net
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 02:28:51 -0400

Color is pretty irrelevant when it comes to radios. The successful
selling Yaecomwoods, whether or not they performed at a level
comensurate with their prices, have in recent years been of the darker
hues. I've heard from a number of non Tentec users ( non-owners) that
Tentec radios don't LOOK like real, serious radios because of their
chintzy (non black) coloration. No amount of salesmanship on my part
would convince them otherwise. I had a local dealer, who I'm friendly
with,( who happens to be an Icom dealer), state a number of years ago
that Tentec radios are "toys." He has an engineering background, so
knows his electronics. Apparently he never used one. Of course he
doesn't sell them either!
I mentioned this color matter to Scott a number of months ago and I told
him Tentec may need to capture part of the JA radio groupies who are
hung up on their color of a radio and might never try a Tentec (as crazy
as it may seem) because of their past coloration. What difference does
it make, so long as the radio really "sings." A healthy Tentec, staying
in the ham market place, producing top of the line equipment, with its
excellent service and customer friendliness, is of PARAMOUNT importance.
I hope the JAs don't start producing pink or chartreuse radios!!
Arghhhh!
73,
Art, N2KA..