[TenTec] Vertical Ant. Question / Suggestion

Stuart Rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:10:10 -0500

I have a very successful Gap Titan installation, but I agree with Jim,
K4SQR, that for the county hunter awards, you also need your G5RV.  As Jim
also said, you could hang a vertical 20m dipole as a wire DX antenna, well
away from the horizontal.  That is the way I am using the Titan, mostly for
DX 40m and up,and was using a home built G5RV for the close in work.  There
were times when on 20m I could get short skip with the Titan vertical
dipole, but generally a horizontal doublet, fairly low, would be better for
that.

Since weather took my G5RV supports, I am rebuilding with a couple of
designs for short skip and long.  One will be a horizontal loop which I have
successfully used at Field Days since three years ago.  Another will be the
Inverted Double Extended Zepp for 20m and up, (88 foot overall), and I may
play with some other multiband doublets.

I believe you always need a combination of HF antennas for a combination of
distances, and a vertical and horizontal combination should provide many
happy hours.
73,

Stuart K5KVH