[TenTec] Re: More than... "Just a quick thought..."

Mark Hinkel mrhinkel@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:00:21 -0400

Hi John, and the guys,

Yes...   Alan probably did send the message "only" to me because
________.  (You fill in the blank)  However, I thought his reply was
worthy enough to send it to everyone on the list.  Alan's comments about
software driven "anything" should be written in stone:  >> Those with
software driven radios should take a gaze at their computers, and ask
themselves how often do they have software problems there, and why
should radios be much different. <<

Just this week, I downloaded an "improved version" of my trusty Netscape
-- and now it won't print the history from my on-line bank account.
(more bugs to work out...)

That being said...

I am impressed with some of the new radios with DSP, and now the new
software controlled stuff.  In another couple of years, I think I'll be
in the market for just such a radio.  Just as my old car is getting
older, and I'll need to buy a replacement soon -- I'll be looking at
some of today's radios in a couple of years,  And once again, I'll pick
the one that holds up the best.  And yes...   it'll probably be a Ten
Tec.

Today's cars are better running, use less gas, and are more reliable
than cars made years ago.  Computer controlled fuel injection makes that
possible.  Today's radios are better functioning, use less current, and
are less prone to failure.  To some extent, computer controls make that
possible.  Just because some radio doesn't have a carburetor, doesn't
mean it's not welcome in my garage.

An interesting note;  I recently picked up a JPS "NIR-10" -- audio DSP.
I hooked it up to the old Corsair II and fiddled with the knobs.  I
guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the crystal filters in the IF were
just as good as the the new audio DSP -- I don't see much of a
difference.

I'm particularly interested in the new Ten Tec receiver -- RX-350.
Since my early days in Ham radio, I've always thought using a separate
receiver has certain positive aspects.  Again, I'll take a look at the
reports and see how well it performs.

The Jupiter is also very attractive, and with a low base price ($1200).
But from the look of things here...   "like a new pair of paints that
shrink in the wash -- the appeal seams to shrink as well".  Maybe I'm
better off keeping my Corsair II another year or two.

Let's hope the software engineers get a handle on things...   but for
now, I think I'll go look at my shocks...

Mark Hinkel   WA3QVU
Willow Grove, Pa.

PS:  The metaphors here are intentional:  There are certain features on
a radio that will never change, just like the shocks in your car.  If
they're bad...   they're bad!

John wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Maybe Alan intentionally sent his e-mail only to you because he did not want
> everyone on the list to receive it??
>
> 73,
>
> John  W0DC

Enjoyed your comments.  It always amazes me why folks will seek the
advise of "amateurs" when something is not working with their radios
rather than ask the manufacturers themselves..  or at least start with
the manufacturers.

My good friend here in the shack is a Corsair, and all other rigs are
glow bugs.  Reason is, I have half a chance of fixing the problem
myself.  Also, I like knobs (smile).

Those with software driven radios should take a gaze at their computers
and how ask themselves how often do they have software problems there,
and why  should radios be much different.

You know for audio, my old HQ-129X or Drake R-4B are tough to beat.

You comments will probably fall on deaf ears -- but I wanted to let you
know you had one listener.

Alan KB7MBI in Woodinville, WA
FISTS 5702  Proud member of ARRL