[TenTec] Ten-Tec External Speaker

Jim Reid jimr.reid@verizon.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:56:54 -1000

> Also, most of the tube type receivers had a push-pull output
> stage.  P-P stages have minimal 2nd and 4th order harmonics
> but have a generous amount of 3rd & 5th order harmonics.
> 3rds and 5ths sound much better musically.
> Ask any guitar player.

Ask any pipe organ player, and you get another opinion.
The 2nd harmonic is responsible for the gorgeous sound
of the open pipe (Principal or Diapason).  The 3rd harmonic
is prominent in the capped pipe (the Tibia in the "theatre
organ" most famous example).  Playing the pipe organ,  the
2nd is further "enhanced" by pulling on the 4 foot stops;  the
third by putting on the 2 2/3rd foot stops.  And the higher
harmonics can also be enhanced with the addition of even
shorter pipes....all the way up to little fife sized peanunt
whistles in the high pitched "mixtures".  Lots of fun, about
as much fun as chasing DX,  hi.  I like to add the 7th harmonic,
the "flatted 21st",  the Septieme -- neat tone.

73,  Jim  KH7M