[TenTec] RF spike, dual VFO, variable bw comments

Chuck brudtkuhl@prairieinet.net
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:34:45 -0600

Just a couple comments/comments for John, KE5C:

>Anyway, here's my wish list (not in any order of preference):

>1)  No RF spike on keydown to trip out those Alpha amps on CW.

What TenTec rig have you had this problem with?  I am running the
Omni-VI+ with the Alpha 99 and have never experienced this.

>2)  Dual VFO's (or even better, subreceiver with less performance than
>primary) with *dual* receive for trying to find where the DX is
listening
>(no, I haven't worked VP8THU and it doesn't look good).

I concur, like they had on the Corsair II (in conjunction with remote
VFO).  On the other hand, the linked RIT / XIT does very well in this
respect, but true "dual" would be so much better.

>6)  Variable bandwith tuning instead of passband tuning - I assume this
will
>happen with the digital filtering surely to be included.

John, you'll just have to find a used Cubic Astro-103 to get this.
Actually, I'm not convinced that anyone has made a rx yet to beat the
old Cubic.  When I worked VK9HI on 75m SSB from this
upper-midwest-black-hole (and during afternoon daylight hours no less),
the Cubic was the ONLY receiver I could detect them with .. the Omni V
didn't know they were on the band.

73 de Chuck
wa0roi
--