[TenTec] RE: 516... or why the Orion is more exciting

John Clifford johnclif@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:34:17 -0800

I think it's fair to say that more people will be interested in the Orion
versus the new 516 QRP rig.  Why?  Well... here's why from my point of view.

The 516 doesn't excite me because there's nothing that it offers that I
can't get from someone else.  The Icom IC-718 costs less and gives me QRO
power (makes a better rig for a new General licensee).  The SGC 2020 seems
'neater'.  The Elecraft K2 offers superior performance and has the benefit
(to me) / drawback (to others) of being a kit.  I think the market for the
516 is pretty small... mainly confirmed Ten-Tec fans who are QRP addicts.
Now... if it had been designed with performance and features equivalent to
the K2 but was built already, then I think it would be more popular.
Personally, I'd rather have a Jupiter.

The Orion, on the other hand, has the potential to appeal to everyone who is
in the market for a top-of-the-line HF rig.  This means a tremendous amount
of upgrades from previous Omni VI and VI+ owners, as well as those people
who have a 756 Pro, a FT-1000 MkV, or a Kenwood TS-870 who want the latest
and greatest.  Whether this rig does well for Ten-Tec depends primarily on
two things... its receiver specs MUST be at the top of the charts in all
categories, and it must offer the best of the features that the other top
rigs have (dual multi-band receive, great IF DSP, great graphical
UI/display/panel layout, appealing to the eye, maximum ability to be
controlled by a computer, must work well with amps, etc.).  Oh... it also
must be upgradable, unlike the Japanese competitors who require you to buy a
new radio every couple of years to be "on top".

Let's face it... most people who are going to buy the best don't care about
price if it's reasonable, and $300 to $500 one way or the other isn't going
to make or break a sale if you can get the ultimate radio.  I think the
decision to make the main rcvr ham band only is critical as it indicates (to
me) that Ten-Tec is going to pull out all of the stops to ensure that they
have the best receiver on the market.

I'm looking forward with great anticipation to the introduction of the
Orion.  I'm thinking about getting rid of my Drake R8A and picking up a
Jupiter.  The 516?  Yawn....

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2
                  ...waiting _eagerly_ for KPA2!
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net