[TenTec] re 756pro2 vs omni 6 plus

kenneth m cubilo kce@freeway.net
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:50:41 -0500

I had a chance to compare the icom and tentec radios side by side.At the
risk of toe stepping keep your omni 6 plus, I found the icom 756 pro rx
performance to be very user exhaustive, from my days as a commercial
telegraph/telephone op a real measure of rx performance was how long you
could keep the cans on your head without feeling like you wanted to pull
your hair out. The icom audio was rough and to me tinny no matter how
you adjusted the filters, the dsp well built up on a pedestal is no
match for xtal filters nor can the icom pull out any weak sigs better
than the omni in fact i give the omni a slight edge on weak sig work.
sure the omni 6 plus doesn't have all the useless bells and whistles but
when i purchased the omni I wanted a practical radio.I had recently
listed my omni 6 plus for sale, but after hard thinking decided to keep
it as I just am not going to find anything better.this is one radio you
can listen to for a 48 hour contest without getting a headache and if a
big gun parks a few hundred hz away from you with proper filters you can
still dig out the weak ones.
ken w8ob
--
SUPPORT RADIO TELEGRAPH THE VOICE OF PROFESSIONAL RADIO OPS.!!!
Member of FISTS #7242  QCWA #30270  SOWP # 5648-M  QRPARCI VWOA AND ARRL