[TenTec] S/S G5RV "off subhect question . . ."

Mike Hyder -N4NT- N4NT@chartertn.net
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:57:08 -0400

Are you saying that a 'compression joint' is not good for frequencies above
audio?

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom North" <tomnorth@airmail.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 4:13 PM
Subject: [TenTec] S/S G5RV "off subhect question . . ."

All electrical considerations aside, one may take into considerations the
mechanical qualities of 'Stainless Steel' alloys (which are actually NOT a
steel in the traditional sense.)

If the intent is to create the 75-Ohm feed as part of the antenna wire, in a
contiguous piece, via spacers or whatever to configure a 'ladder', fine.
Otherwise there will be a mechanical connection from the feedline to the
elements, as you will likely find that 'stainless' does not solder. There
will be a compressive joint, be it a binding post, wire nut or what have
you. This is actually a desirable connection, in my mind, for audio, and
that ends at about 20 KHz. I solder the few connections I have to make in
wire anyennas.  I might add that in about 25 years of prototype production I
worked or worked with a couple forms of stainless - cast, sheet and shapes -
just often enough to farm the work out to shops that were set up to work
stainless. Some of these ONLY work stainless. It's a great material with
wonderfull qualities, but unfortunately the casual use of it in fabrication
is not one of them.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Tom,  N5OZQ