[TenTec] S/S G5RV "off subhect question . . ."

Stuart Rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:00:05 -0500

I know of at least one ham who is well known on the QRP list, and he runs
both QRP and I think QRO at times to wire antennas with balanced line
attached with wire nuts. He has not had to climb his 80 foot tower to redo
them either.  With due regard to turning them down to not catch water,  or
using the ones with water rejecting grease, they are perfectly good for HF
joints of Field Day antennas over the last six years that we have used big
wire loops joined at corners with them, or balanced line connections made
with them.  It was at first a concern for me, who had always soldered
EVERYTHING on antenna wire connections, but I found that they make loop
installation a breeze on Field Day, and we can keep wire rolled up with
feeders disconnected in storage, much neater than having permanent joints.

That way, you also get a fresh oxide broken joint each time you hook up.
73,
Stuart K5KVH