[TenTec] What is a Ten Tec Model 100?

WA3FIY wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:07:36 -0400

On 18 Jun 2002 at 23:33, Dave Moorman wrote:

> fixed-frequency transceiver, though.  Is anyone familiar with this
> unit?

Not exactly, but it strongly resembles the Ten Tec Model 150
which is a commercial service SSB 100 watt transceiver for
operation in the 2 to 12 Mhz range.  I believe the Model 150
[and perhaps the '100] was Ten Tec's answer to the Kachina
KC-100 transceiver of the same power and frequency range.
Kachina produced the KC-100 and offspring for a couple
decades or so.  My former company purchased many KC-100's
and modified them for use as aircraft HF radios in many
overseas countries.  I purchased a Ten Tec '150 for evaluation
and still have it, virtually brand new.

Here are some excerpts from the '150 manual.  "The TEN-TEC
Model 150 Transceiver is a medium power single sideband hf
transceiver....."   "Model 150 provides full coverage between 2
and 12 Mhz in four bands: 2 to 3, 3 to 5, 5 to 8 and 8 to 12
Mhz.  Any channel may be operated on any frequency within the
range without alteration or additional componets [except
operation frequency crystal which was 12.7Mhz above the
operating frequency -Lee ]. "  Also note that the '150 had a
frequency selector switch with 8 positions, so you could
operate any 8 crystal controlled frequencies in the 2 to 12 Mhz
range.

The unit came in a variety of configurations.  Mine has both
upper and lower sideband, VOX and noise blanker.   Sideband
selection is made by switching crystal filters, each having a
frequency of 12.7 Mhz, one upper sideband and the other
lower.  The '150 sideband selection was much like the Drake
TR-3/4 method but 12.7 Mhz instead of 9 Mhz.  Incidently,
the Kachina also used the 12.7 Mhz IF and two filter method
of sideband selection.

Looking at the schematic, Corsair heritage is obvious in the low
level driver, the PA and the IF/Det systems.

I don't have any idea how many of these things TT made but
my '150 S/N is in the high 200's.

Hope someone can shed some light on what the differences are
between the '100 and '150.

-73-

-Lee-