[TenTec] Corsair audio

Ronald Hands ronald.hands@sympatico.ca
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:56:15 -0800

   There seems to have been a fair bit of discussion about microphones
lately, which leads me to ask: is there any consensus on a particularly
good desk mike for the Corsair II?
    I've had my Corsair for three or four years, but use it mainly for
CW so I haven't bothered about microphones.  However, I've recently had
occasion to crank it up on SSB a bit more often and have been testing
different microphones -- and growing more confused by the minute.
    Did a test the other night between a Shure 444 and a Drake hand
mike.  Everybody said the 444 was best.  Then I did a test today with a
friend who knows my voice.  Used three mikes: the 444, the Drake and a
TenTec 701 hand mike.  The verdict was that the Drake was far superior,
the 444 came second and the Ten Tec was a distant third.
    Obviously I need more choices.  Any recommendations?

-- Ron  VE3SP