[TenTec] Orion Comment ( too long)

Duane Grotophorst n9dg@yahoo.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 19:10:25 -0800 (PST)

Caution: Contains humor.

It seems that so much of the recent discussion has
focused on the looks of the Orion vs. what's actually
in it or how well it will interface to the new
technology world. FWIW I want to listen and transmit
on my radio, not look at it or fondle it. So I'll take
this opportunity to get on my no front panel black
radio soapbox .... again :-).

Far as I'm concerned I would like to see a simple no
panel/knobs box that I will tuck away in the corner of
the shack and never look at. In that case it could be
bright green with purple polka dots for all I care,
cause I ain't a gonna be looking at the radio anyhow,
I'll instead be looking at all those nice large multi
color waterfall displays on one of my two 21 inch
monitors (no tiny 5 or so inch displays for me, color
or not!). I will then have my digital mode of choice
or audio analysis / post processing program running on
the other monitor, drawing fun and imaginative filter
passband shapes just to make the people I'm listening
to sound funny, because I want to.

Also I'll be zipping around the bands by clicking on
interesting looking spectrum spikes here there and
everywhere, never even once having to let go of the
mouse in order to take a quick look at the latest
flame war on the Ten Tec reflector.

Maybe another time I will have a simple virtual radio
panel with florescent orange knobs till I'm tired of
orange, I may then make them each individually into
any one of the 32 million other colors that I'll have
to choose from! I'll resize and move those various
virtual buttons and knobs about my screen in so many
"creative" ways that'll make Picasso's work look
normal.  Of course I'll be able to do all of that,
because it will be just software. As it is now once
the Orion would land on my desk the knobs and buttons
will always look the same until I buy the Orion VI+.

Duane
N9DG