[TenTec] Orion

Phil & Patti pcuellar@bright.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:29:27 -0500

I have been following the much animated conversations on whether or not
gold on black is cheesy, or whether black is better than grey, or whether
Picasso's paintings look normal, or whether an antenna tuner is better than
power windows, etc. ad nauseam. The bottom line is looks won't affect
performance. It's what's inside that counts. If this rig performs anything
close to the way it should with the features advertised, then the
competition should be worried.
On the other hand, Ten Tec should be (and probably is) listening to the
potential customers. Many of us like rigs that look and sound like top of
the line stuff. We want to be able to show it off both on the air and in
the shack. It goes back to the ancient "mine's better than yours" thing.
(Go ahead, pretend you don't know what I'm talking about.)
The black/gold color scheme does not offend me in the least, however, I
have some concerns about the "esthetics" of the LCD display. I am wondering
if there is an issue (besides price) that makes the choice of a mono LCD
display better that a color TFT display. IMO, I'd rather see a color
display, unless there is a good reason not to have one. The internal
antenna tuner would be nice, but it's not a "gotta have one or else" item
to me.

Ok, that's my 2 cents...

73 de Phil - KI8JQ

  I don't know the secret of success, but the sure way to failure is to try
to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

---