[TenTec] Re: Protect you rigs.

WILLIAM F MANSEY res0wsci@verizon.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:36:37 -0500

I could NOT agree more especially living here in West Central Florida.  We
have industrial strength lightning in this area!  A couple of years ago the
antenna was blown completely off the top of a local repeater tower due to
lightning.  This tower is located at someone's home and needless to say (but
I will say it anyway!) the damage was NOT limited to the antenna.  There
were other things located there as well.  The list of casualties includes
the 2 meter repeater, a 220 repeater, a 440 repeater, a six meter rig and a
10 meter rig.  Also "gone" was an assortment of power supplies, computers,
televisions and other items!    Sounds bad doesn't it?
    The next summer, after almost everything had been repaired or replaced,
it happened AGAIN!  Damage not as bad but significant.  BUT WAIT - - -
10 days later AFTER "spare" radios were installed to get the destroyed 2
meter and 440 repeaters back on the air YES you guessed it!  ZAP!  Who ever
said lightning doesn't strike twice?  (actually I suppose that this
statement actually IS true since that tower got hit THREE times!!!
    By all means disconnect your antennas when thunderstorms are wandering
around near by.  I have a grounded 1/4 inch thick copper plate with bulkhead
(feed through) connectors.  I can readily disconnect the antennas from the
antenna feed lines very quickly and easily.  If things get REALLY nasty I
can disconnect the feed lines from the outside of that plate as well.
Better safe than sorry.
    Thanks for bring up this subject Stuart.  73;  Bill