[TenTec] re: weird postings virus?

Jim Lowman jmlowman@directvinternet.com
Sun, 12 May 2002 17:14:32 -0700

Gang,

Yes, Klez and other viruses are running rampant.  I've seen many messages
bounced to me on this and the other mailing lists that I administer, as
well is in my personal mail.  Generally the indication is a message with
no body and either an odd or sometimes catchy subject line; something that
one might think was being sent by a friend.  I've recently seen several
messages arrive in my inbox from friends, or from the ARRL forwarding
service, because their (the friend's, that is) computer is infected and
I'm in their address book.

Don't be concerned about these viruses being propagated by the list.
There are many defenses against them; specifically StripMime, which
removes HTML and attachments.  Thus, the empty body of the message.
Also, unless a member of this list is infected, most will be bounced to
me as non-member submissions, and they go straight to the bitbucket.

So, users of the popular Microsoft products, specifically Outlook and
Outlook Express, beware.  Get and use Norton Anti-Virus or another
proven virus scanning-and-removal software product, and keep your virus
definitions up to date.

73 de Jim - AD6CW
Tentec@contesting.com Listadmin