[TenTec] Dayton and the 516

Bwana Bob wb2vuf@qsl.net
Sun, 19 May 2002 15:52:33 -0400

Yes, I too, am disappointed in the 516 price. Price has limited the
production life of some good radios, notably the Argonaut 515 and the
Argonaut and Delta II.

In my opinion, the competition for the 516 is not the K2 but the
SGC 2020 and perhaps the Yaesu FT817. The SGC is about $675, but if you
want DSP, the price is $800; the same as the 516. However, the SGC has a
more rugged portable look. (Whether it is indeed rugged I don't know.
The pigtail antenna lead is not a reliable design). The FT817 sells for
$670, but it needs the filter to make it really useful on CW. This
brings the FT817 price to $830. Now the Yaesu has no DSP, but it covers
2m and 440 MHz and it is ultra portable, which makes it very appealing.

In output power The FT817 is at a disadvantage (look for a lot of 817's
for sale when we get into the sunspot minimum).

As a further comparison, suppose you bought a Scout at $550 along with
the noise blanker and all of the band modules. This would run about $700
and you would not have DSP or general coverage receive.

So, the 516 price is not completely out of line, compared to similarly
equipped radios, but the price isn't low enough to capture a really big
part of the market and it doesn't have the same "portability appeal" as
the SGC or Yaesu rigs.

I would really like to see TT sell thousands of 516's, but I think the
price has to come down to $700. Also, some accessories that would appeal
to portable operators might help to sell it, like a matching battery
case or carrying pouch.

Also, we'll have to wait for some user reviews and magazine reviews. THe
first review can make or break a product.

				73,

				Bob WB2VUF