[TenTec] Headphones: Modifying My Stance

Rick Tyler rp.tyler@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 28 May 2002 18:58:58 -0400

Okay . . . just got off the phone with an otolaryngologist (ear nose and
throat doctor to the rest of us) and was grilling him about communications
headphones vs hi-fi stereo headphones (I tune his piano, so I was able to
call him, for free!!! He'll probably expect a free tuning next time) He
asked all about the types of sounds and filters and so on.  And here's his
response:

"Tell your friends that the communications headphones sound like a good idea
to help cut down the high frequency white noise sound you hear on a radio.
HOWEVER: Tell them that if they mow their lawns, use chainsaws or power
tools regularly, but especially if they USE LEAF BLOWERS without hearing
protection, then it's probably too late anyway so they might as well go
ahead and use whatever they've been using, as they might need the extra
frequency response the hi-fi headphones provide just to hear anything at
all."

He went on a bit about leaf blowers, as that seems to be the biggest new
problem causing hearing loss.

So I'll leave it up to you folks to do your own research and make your own
decisions.

And I guess this has gone on about long enough and has little to do with Ten
Tec . . . been interesting, though.

73 de Rick, WQ8Q