[TenTec] Omni V audio mod

ROBERT STEPHENS bstephens1@mindspring.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:36:42 -0500

 Tnx to all for your replies,

I've just spent about 2 hours searching the archives for more info.  My
eyes are red and I can barely see the screen <g>
It looks like the best set up for ssb would be to install pairs of 2.8, 2.4
and 1,8 filters. Unfortunately , I would then need to buy a separate rig
for cw ;-) I am not a serious cw op, but I do operate some cw and would
like to be able to single out signals since my "internal" (between the
ears) filter is not so good..

Having read the archives I now have a more specific question. Assuming that
the rig has a pair of 1.8 filters as well as a pair of 2.8 filters would
the $15 internal capacitor mod offered by INRAD degrade the performance of
the 1.8 filters?

P.S. [The reason I am asking these questions is because I am thinking of
getting a new (used) rig and I want use it for listening to DX, casual
relaxed contesting and I also want a really nice sounding ssb rig. I want a
rig that sounds as good as Jupiters are supposed to sound, but I also want
a receiver as good as an Omni. I would settle for a receiver not quite as
good as an Omni. I am also considering the 756 and TS 850. Of course the
Orion would also do the trick <wide grin> ]

73
Bob ,KB1CIW

<tentec@contesting.com>; Gary Hoffman <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
 > Date: 11/25/02 7:00:36 PM
> Subject: Re: Re: [TenTec] Omni V audio mod
>
> Having tried both filters I would agree with Gary. The problem is that it
is a subjective issue. We all have different audio tastes so there is no
"right" answer. However, TenTec did use the 2.4 filters for exactly the
reason Gary mentioned. Just my 2 cents worth. Tim NZ7C

<bstephens1@mindspring.com>
> > Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni V audio mod
> >
> > I'm almost afraid to answer this one....  :)
> >
> > I don't know the details of the mod itself, so someone else will
> > have to answer you there.
> >
> > But, as for the DX properties vs the Audio properties... it is my
> > experience that these are in direct opposition to each other.
> >
> > Narrow filters are absolutely essential to pull the weak ones out of
> > the noise, especially when the bands are going wild with activity.
> >
> > Wide filters will deliver slightly better audio, given a time when the
bands
> > are
> > quiet.
> >
> > IMHO the small audio gain is nowhere near worth the loss in performance.
> > And I also feel (just my opinion) that we ought to keep our signals
narrow,
> > avoid congestion and mutual interference.
> >
> > Your mileage may vary.
> >
> > 73 de Gary, AA2IZ

DX/contest
> > > abilities of the Omni? )
> > > How does the audio of a modified Omni compare with the audio of a
Jupiter?